At least 1 in 4 women experience domestic violence in their lifetime and between 1 in 8 and women experience it annually. 750,000 children witness it and 2 women die per week as a result of it.
The vast majority of the victims of domestic violence are women and children, and women are considerably more likly to experience repeated and severe forms of violence, and sexual abuse.
Domestic violence can be in many forms:
- physical abuse
- sexual assult and threats
- making someone feel worthless
- not letting them have any money
- not allowing them to leave the home
- social isolation and emotional abuse which can have a long lasting effect as that of physical violence.